When you thought you knew every possible ear piercing.
There you have the relatively new smoke piercing. It has nothing with smoking or fire to do with it, but it is located in an unusual place in the ear.
The smoke piercing is rising in popularity. Is it something for you, too?
What is a smoke piercing?
The smoke piercing goes through the middle piece of cartilage in your ear. Not through the outer fold with cartilage (then you have a helix), also not through the piece of cartilage at the end of the outer fold (that's where your daith).
It sounds more complicated than it is: sometimes a picture says more than a thousand words.
Below you can see a picture of our piercer Bloe from Inksane Brussels. She has a smoke piercing with a ring as the jewel.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
As with any piercing, we first lookat the placement.
Each ear is unique: one ear is flatter, the other rounder. Some have very small ears, others just the perfect size.
A smoke piercing may not be possible for you. Together with the piercer, you can discuss which piercings you can wear.
When a smoke piercing is possible, the piercer passes her needle perpendicularly through this piece of cartilage. Next, she inserts a curved rod - also called a banana bone - into your new piercing.
How do I care for my new smoke piercing?
The smoke piercing goes through a solid piece of cartilage, so the recovery process will take a while.
Count on 8 months to 1 year before your piercing is completely healed.
If you want a ring like Bloe, you will have to wait at least a year. You can already admire our jewels.
What not to do:
- Don't tinker, twisting, pulling, pushing on your new piercing.
- Don't sleep on your ear. This creates extra pressure. Also be careful with headphones.
- Do not use alcohol.
- Avoid swimming, sauna, tanning bed and taking a long bath for 4 to 6 weeks. During these activities, your blood vessels expand. There will be natural swelling after piercing. This is why a longer rod is inserted in the beginning. The rod may become too short if your blood vessels expand extra.
What to do:
- Wash your hands before touching the piercing.
- Be sure to clean your piercing twice a day with a saline solution. We recommend Neilmed Piercing Aftercare to.
- Return after 6 to 8 weeks to downsize. Then we insert a shorter rod into your gem.
Bloe Vaneeckhout - Piercer at Inksane Brussels
"Choose quality, and don't twist your piercing!
A piercing heals in a different way than holes, which you get shot.
With a piercing, twisting is not necessary."
- My piercing is swollen.
This is completely normal because your body is reacting to the "trauma."
That's why you start with a longer rod in your piercing. When the swelling goes down, return to downsize.
- My piercing itches.
- I have irritation bubbles.
This is easy to fix. Stop by for a free check-up, and we'll help you.
Don't wait too long to visit: Untreated irritation bubbles can create scar tissue, and then the bubbles won't go away.
- Do you have more questions?
The price of piercing, our gems and much more info can be found at Inksane Piercing.
When in doubt, you can book a free appointment to ask all kinds of questions to the piercer. If your doubts are cleared after that, you can get your smoke pierced immediately.